lichess.org
Donate

NM chess goal

@jg777
I am currently a USCF 1269.
I have tournament experience but not that much maybe like 100-200 in my entire life probably
IK it's gonna cost money and effort but I won't exchange that title for anything
If you maintain the motivation you have now, I wouldn't bet against you!
I would recommed making goals that are attainable. Like you are probably around 1500 right now and you plan to be about 700 points stronger within two years. Given that it woudl mean you basically play totally different game after two years. So maybe hard but attanable goal 1700 then 1900 and then 2200 or somethign to that effect. Then at least it would be possible to some sort plan what need to learn to reach the next goal. Two years could be hard just due to rating calculation reason. Assume that you would be with 1500 established rating you attend tournament where you play five 1600 players and score 3 out 5 - a good result - that would get you 50 points winning all would give you 200 points. Anyway on average you stand to gain few tens of points per tournament if you are progressing well. So to gain 700 points you would have attend tournaments at least every month.

So it is hard goal . Probably not doable in two years in particular given current situation with Covid-19 but good luck
How about you try getting a good teacher and learn how to improve from known teaching methods. That way you won't waste as much time by trial and error. Otherwise, we all have to follow our own paths.
"So I have a goal in chess, and that is to become NM in USCF and at best my deadline for the goal is by the end of next year. Or if that is deadline is un-accomplishable, I will try and become one by the end of 2024 which is 3 years later." -- The or/if is funny. My goal is to become a grandmaster and my deadline is end of next week. Or if that deadline is un-accomplishable I will try and become one 3 weeks later.

"With Covid-19 still ongoing OTB's are all pretty much cancelled which means I can't really join any tournaments until this pandemic ends." -- You need no OTB tournaments to become stronger. Fischer did not play in 1969, but instead he analysed his own games for his book "My Sixty Memorable Games". He came back in 1970 much stronger than ever before. You can study, you can analyse, you can play online or against yourself or against Stockfish level 8.

"I will also have work to do which I won't be having time practice any chess" -- Here is a problem. Progress needs time and effort. Work, study, family also take up time. It does not have to hinder you: many grandmasters also have another job, have university degrees, are married with children. They have however to set priorities. Kramnik for example said he never watched any television so as to use this time on chess.

"Would it be possible for me at best to accomplish the goal by the end of next year depending on the situation? Or at the very least is it accomplishable by the end of 2024?" -- No. Normal progress is +100/year. Progress of +200 or +300/year is possible but hard to maintain.

"What does it really take to become an NM?" -- Discipline and hard work. You must free your game of blunders. As long as you blunder, all the rest is in vain. You must train tactics until your tactics puzzle rating exceeds you desired play rating. You must study endgames, particularly rook endings. You must analyse your lost games so as to learn from your mistakes. You should study grandmaster games so as to learn from them.
@tpr
Thank you so much for your detailed insight.
Just want to clear a bit up.
For my first point I am just saying at best I can do it by the end of next year. That means if I can achieve it then that's the best situation, otherwise, I will just take more time after all it's NM.

I know I can still improve without OTB but my rating won't increase.

I will definitely take your advice

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.